Everything under the sun
Dermatest is a sunscreen and skin care product evaluation facility. Our laboratory and consultancy are able to conduct full SPF product testing to all recognised protocols.
Your personal care products can also be fully tested for skin safety and efficacy claim support, utilising our experience and a broad range of modern bio-physical skin measurement equipment.
Please request a detailed price list at info @dermatest .com .au or search this site for your protocol from a selection of over 50 available to download.
FOR SUNSCREEN TESTING: Click on the button below to identify your markets and required tests.
Ordering Sunscreen tests
Test requirements do still vary, mainly between USA and Australia vis most of the rest of the world. You will need to interpret from your own market requirements and order testing accordingly, following the steps below.
Firstly, check the ISO Adoption page – this will give you the status of each of your target markets.
The example below is based on an SPF 50 claim. All markets are harmonised on 10 test subjects.
1. Determine your intended SPF claim.
2. Identify your target markets – we can combine test protocols to cover this if we are advised PRIOR to testing.
3. Identify Water Resistance claim – most markets are 40 min or 80 min maximum. Australia is 4 hrs.
4. Consider the Broad Spectrum claim requirements. An In vitro test is now mandatory in most markets. FDA differs from ISO (which covers around 60 countries). Japan and Korea require In vivo testing.
5. Check the SPF Labelling Categories, which vary between markets. See: ISO Adoption
FDA SPF 50: (for both Static and Water Resistance) There is no “+” category. FDA is currently reviewing justification of numbers above SPF 50. Generally, FDA statistical handling of variability will mean that at least 2 SPF units need to be deducted from the 10 subject mean, so for SPF 50 label claim, target should be higher than SPF 52. The actual number as reported can be applied to the label, e.g. SPF 37
EU SPF50 (STATIC): SPF value needs to be 50 or more.
EU SPF50 (WATER RESISTANT): both static and water resistance need to be tested on the same back simultaneously. Static SPF value need to be 50 or more. Post Immersion (Water Resistance %) SPF value needs be more than 50% of static SPF value.
PLUS SIGN “+”: Generally, this implies plus 10 and it is now restricted to only 50+ , so SPF 50+ has to test as at least SPF 60.
Please contact us if you need further clarification. We try to keep information for all regulated markets up to date on this web site.